Thursday, November 22, 2012

"The Pile of Clothes"

In my professional life, I have a general adult psychotherapy practice.  What this means is that I work only with people over 18 years of age; I treat issues ranging from depression to anxiety, to obsessive-compulsive disorder, to eating disorders, to posttraumatic stress disorder, sexual dysfunction, and more.

The bulk of my work falls in the category of "relationship issues".  (My specialty is infidelity, but that's another story.)  In other words, I do a lot of couples and marital therapy.  Now, couples come into therapy with a vast range of concerns, but, after a certain amount of time together, husband and wife may simply become disgruntled with each other and their idiosyncracies.  I sometimes call this the "pile of clothes" syndrome.

When we're just starting out in a relationship, we tend to be much more tolerant of someone's peculiarities and annoyances, whether it's being consistently late, being a finicky eater, or simply depositing one's "stuff" around the house.  This can be piles of mail (I confess to a bit of this), or the proverbial "pile of clothes".  I can't count the times I've heard from women "He just drops his clothes on the floor and they pile up for an entire week.  He'll even just drop them right in front of the clothes hamper."

Well, there are different ways to respond to this irritant.  One, of course, is to repeatedly complain to your spouse or partner.  Clinical experience, however, suggests that this approach accomplishes very little.  Your spouse may or may not change his behavior in response to your nagging--for a time.  Another approach is to become the "clothes martyr".  What this means is that you decide it's your job to manage the clothes pile, but you do it with deep and audible sighs, and you suffer largely in silence.  Of course, you can always try the rational approach of explaining to your spouse why the clothes pile is a problem; but he or she may simply not agree that it is.  It's not a problem to him.  If it were, he'd likely do something about it.

Finally, one option is to reconsider what that pile of clothes signifies.  Yes, it may be unsightly and may "spoil" your otherwise spotless and tidy house.  Yes, it may signify to you that you haven't adequately "trained" your spouse.  One other way to think about that mound of clothes is that it signifies something other than messiness or disregard for your feelings.  As long as the pile is there--and continues to grow, within reasonable limits--your beloved is alive and well.  He'll return home from work, change his clothes, and add to the pile.  It's when you lose a loved one, whether through death or divorce, that the pile disappears forever.  And that can be a very lonely way to live.  So, some measure of acceptance of a spouse's foibles and annoying habits can help to orient us to what we really value in life and what we really don't want to lose.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post Liz. I am guilty of both nagging and silent martydom in managing my husband's pile of clothes. Never did I imagine I could think of it as you describe. He returns home from work daily, and he is alive and well (despite a health scare a few years ago) to add to that pile. Before it spills off the trunk (where the pile typically starts), he usually makes a trek to the hamper. What I've started doing is simply straightening the pile...folding the clothes neatly into a pile. They remain there for him, and in a way, for me too.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Although therapy has become more tolerable and once daily FDC tables have made it easier to adhere to prescribed treatment, it still requires that patients take their medication regularly to achieve sustained viral suppression. When treatment adherence is inadequate and replication is therefore not suppressed, But dr itua promised and fulfilled his promised to me as he said I will share his work to people that are suffering from Infertility, Herpes, Hepatitis A/B, Fibroid, HIV/ Aids, Alzheimer's disease, Arthritis, Copd, Diabetes, Liver/Kidney Inflamotry, Fibromyalgia, Parkinson's disease, I have read a lot of testimony online from Jesus McKinney,Achima Abelard and Tara Omar on how dr itua heal them with his herbal medicine I contacted him on Email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com then we talk on whatsapp +2348149277967 he gave me instruction on how to drink it for two weeks then after drinking it for two weeks I went for test then I find out I was cured of HIV, I thank him allot i also send him some money for appreciation, Contact this great herbal doctor if you are a sick person.

    ReplyDelete